Friday, February 24, 2006

What can the Orison do?

This project has somehow managed to almost cease.

I have managed to spend the last 2 weeks distracting myself with other projects, work or general laziness. Today however, I have managed to have a good chat with Paul regarding the Orison, its capabilities and I have given him my copy of Cloud Atlas and told him which chapters he needs to read to get the gist of it all.

Whilst discussinf the Orison with him I remembered a project by Microsoft which aims to do a similar kind of thing to the Orison [maybe someone there read Cloud Atlas?] so I am going to research this project further.

As for our quote "We are all robots when uncritically involved with our technologies" I had not considered it until today.

My initial thoughts are derived from part of my conceptual thinking for my studio project which is starting to look at communications & surveillance.

Basically my starting point was a statement from Iman. He stated that computers follow a very specific set of protocols for every single method of communicating with other computers and peripherals - making mis-communication difficult, if not impossible.

So despite the fact that computers and other machines are created by humans, we must also follow certain protocols in order to use them to their fullest potential. Surely this could be reffered to as being robot-like? The interfaces that we are presented with require to use them only in one or two ways [or maybe 00110001 or 00110010 ways? - binary joke].

I think that, althought the Orison is the starting point, different methods of interfacing with technology will become a large part of our research/presentation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home