Friday, March 03, 2006

What presentation?

Paul and I are to present 1 week form today. This fact only sank in yesterday afternoon [thanks Anneke!].

As far as I can see my research has taken 2 different directions, each of which aims to find an answer for a different question.


Each question considers McLuhans' quote but from two different aspects.

Firstly - How we must become 'robots' in order to use and interact with our technologies. As well as looking at current/future developments in interaction which aim to create a more organic experience - which is how I believe the inerface with the Orison to be. I can't recollect any case where the user needs to make any obvious signs of interaction with the Orison, it always just appears to do as it is required to.

Secondly - How we are literally becoming robots - cybernetics. I have been looking at the efforts of scientists to either add extra, or to recover lost functionality. This train of thought also ties in with the awareness and realisation that Sonmi ~451 develops as her senses are introduced to masses of new information. Harnessing the power of extra sensations is one of the goals that is apparent in the field of Cyberenetics.

As for the presentation itself I am not 100% sure about how to 'style it' although paul and I agree that a minimal, yet futuristic design with references to the interface used in Minority Report would be suitable. I had hoped to experiment with the actual functionality of the presentation in order to try and create a more organic navigation scheme. I now however think that this wont be possible with the timescale I have left myself with.

I am still unclear about what to attempt as a multimedia piece to support the point of view offered by the presentation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home