Friday, March 03, 2006

Kick Ass Kung-Fu

Whilst considering different forms of interaction we have with our technologys, I remembered experiencing 'Kick Ass Kung-Fu' at the Media Centre.

This is basically a beat-em up game like Mortal Kombat or Strretfighter but with a difference. In order to fight your opponents, you actually need to punch and kick them! Players stand on a series of mats with the backdrop of a giant blue screen.



A camera records the players movement and this is fed into some custom software. This software in turn generates a replica of the player inside the game footage [which is displayed on large screens at either end of the mats].



As the player traverses the mats punching, kicking and jumping their on-screen representation mimics them. When on-screen contact is made between the replica and the opponents damage is inflicted just as in similar games.

This method of interaction is far superior to that involved when playing Mortal Kombat or Streetfighter. Players are given the chance to physically fight their opponents as they might do so in real life [although without the excessive pain].

When I played this, my session lasted for about 30 minutes. The next morning, the 'realness' of this interaction was felt in most of the muscles in my arms and legs!

I think that this is one of the most organic forms of interaction available, and it is certainly the most organic that I have personally experienced. I can't think of many other applications that allow the user to perform an action as they would do so in daily life, which would then also create a computer based version of the same action.

I feel that although a serious amount of technologies is used with this game, the sheer fact that if I want to kick my opponent, I kick. there is no need to relenquish instinct and force my body to press 'x'.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home